Tom Kha Gai
From Knerd Systems
Revision as of 18:37, 22 November 2018 by Pat Moss
- 1 can of coconut milk
- 2 cups of chicken stock
- 6 thin slices of galanga root
- 2 stalks of lemon grass
- 2 TBSP grated fresh ginger
- 5 fresh kaffir lime leaves (torn in half, not cut)
- 5 fresh stalks of cilantro
- 1 lb boneless chicken breast (or raw shelled, deveined, and de-tailed shrimp)
- 1 onion sliced pole to pole
- 2 sweet peppers sliced (go for color)
- 1 cup chopped shiitake mushrooms (or white mushrooms if you prefer)
- 5 tablespoons of fish sauce (Nuoc Nam Nhi)
- 2 tablespoons of sugar (optional)
- Half a cup of lime juice
- 1 teaspoon of black chili paste (Nam Prik)
- 1/2 TSP curry powder
- 5 red chilis
- Tomato wedges (go in with coconut milk)
- Slices of carrot (go in at step 1)
- Combine the chicken stock with the galangal, lemon grass and lime leaves in a large saucepan and heat to boiling.
- Add the chicken, fish sauce, mushrooms, and sugar.
- Simmer for about 4 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked.
- Add the onion, ginger and sweet peppers.
- Add the coconut milk to the saucepan and heat just to boiling.
- Place the lime juice, cilantro and chili paste in a serving bowl then pour the soup into the serving bowl.
- Garnish with red chili peppers, and serve.